Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mornings in Boghe

When you think of African wildlife, you think Lion King. Unfortunately, Mauritania leaves a lot to be desired as far as wildlife but every morning when I go for a run outside of Boghé I am able to enjoy most of the wildlife Mauritania does have to offer. The air is still a little cool, the sun is rising and I can go the entire 30 minutes in peace without seeing a single Mauritanian. Here’s a little visual peak into my mornings…

Sunrise over Boghé and some of the wild dogs that aren’t as lucky as Bailey is.











The road I run on that follows the canal and electric lines along the outskirts of Boghé and a few of the millions of donkeys I see everyday.












Long horned cattle and the water tower in the distance at the Boghé garage (where I catch taxis out of Boghé)











One of the cool things Mauritania has to offer, camels! Unlike ever other animal here, I never get tired of camels. The day before I brought my camera out on my run, I saw some camels rolling around the dirt to cool off. It was pretty hilarious seeing these huge awkward animals trying to lie in the dirt and roll back and forth on their humped backs












Another type of wildlife Mauritania is actually known for is their birds. Unfortunately, I am not as patient or dedicated of a photographer as Eddie so I didn’t get pictures of some of the prettiest ones, so ill have to describe them. The most beautiful one is about medium size and at first glace looks just black. But when the light hits it right as it flies, the head turns a beautiful iridescent teal while the body and wings turn iridescent blue. and then of course, you cant forget the goats!














No comments: