Thursday, September 18, 2008

Finally settled in

Yesterday I took my last trip of stuff from the regional house to my new room. It kind of feels like moving into a college dorm room all over again, except this time the walls are made out of mud and my roof is thatched. Even with that being said, I have a really nice set up in my new room. My host family gave me the chairs (I picked out the colors so they would match… trying to make things homey even in Africa!), desk and cot. All of those 3 things are pretty unheard of in bedrooms of volunteers (furniture in general doesn't really exist).

A little tour of my new compound/room….













This is from outside the gate looking into the family courtyard. My room is the open door on the far left (behind the blanket hanging on the line).

















Once you go into the main door there is a little storage room (with working fridge and freezer!) and my door is on the left. Its nice because you cant see straight into my room from the courtyard so random people walking by don't gawk at me. Now pictures from inside my room! I tried to do a little 360 photo thing… right on your left when you enter my room is my desk (with toiletries, water filter, electronics, books, and other knick knacks) and fan.













As you go toward the left I have some pictures up and right now below them is a pile of all my clothes (im getting a shelf made right now to be able to fold my clothes and set them on). Im also a dork and put a map of Ohio on the wall next to the pictures (its hard to see in the photo). Then I have a window (with curtains I made myself!) my bed (on a cot!) with my mosquito net, shoes lined up underneath, and a little makeshift end table. Lastly is my little sitting corner with paintings, photos, and buckets of amazing American food underneath). And that's my room!














Last night I ate dinner at the regional house then went back to my house to hang out with the new fam afterwards. Since it is Ramadan, people basically sleep all day and stay up all night so there was a ton of people just hanging around in my courtyard. They had the tv from the family room put in the doorway so it faced out to the courtyard and everyone was laying around on mats and pillows watching a French news channel… after PK7 and no electricity I feel like I'm living the life. I love my new family and I am excited to finally be settled into my new home in Boghe!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Teresa -- nice room! And I love the pictures from home... Everyone you love (and who loves you!)right there to greet you each morning. What a way to start the day!

Vicki

Anonymous said...

Teresa,
You look so happy and settled. I'm excited for you (and proud of you too).
Love,
Brig
P.S. Want any of these movie titles: Michael Collins, Dreamgirls, Syriana, Bad Boys? I'll check stock and see what else we have to pass along.

mom said...

You are the Martha Stewart of the Peace Corp - designing huts in West Africa...

Anonymous said...

yay!! everything looks so homey! i would like to at least take partial credit for the sitting corner, or at least the foot rest idea ;-). anyway, glad you are all settled in.
-amanda
p.s. sooo jealous of all the furniture.

JAC said...

ditto amanda's comment... your room is SO ridic! i pray to GOD i get a desk or shelves someday, inshallah!!

logan said...

T-Bird!
I love the choice of pictures hanging on the wall...wouldn't be the same without us dressed at trolls!