Saturday, October 25, 2008

school finally started!

School finally actually started last Sunday so my work here can finally begin. Ive spent the last few days talking to my local GMC mentors and getting their suggestions on how I should go about selecting the girls and structuring my center. Ive decided to have an essay contest with the topic being “what is the importance of girl’s education?” and on Monday I am going to go to the school to meet with the directors and introduce myself to the teachers and (hopefully!) encourage them to talk a little bit about the center at the beginning of their classes. Ive also made flyers that I am going to put up around the lycee (high school) and college (middle school) campuses. Ive decided to take girls in the 2eme-5eme grade levels (which equal about 7th grade-10th grade). First I was thinking about focusing on the older girls but my mentor suggested focusing the girls who are at that vulnerable age and could really use the encouragement to continue their studies. Ive also been brainstorming classes that I want to have/topics that I want to cover but all of that can change depending on the girls interests and seeing what they know/don’t know already. Hopefully things go smoothly and I will be having my open house and opening the center in a few weeks!

On a side note, I included pics of some of the kids with their new UNICEF backpacks… they are so cute! All the school age kids in Mauritania get a new backpack full of school supplies from the UN. I took the pics kind of stalkerish in the market the other day ...











No comments: