Saturday, November 22, 2008

Club de Basket

Today was the first day of basketball club and it went sooo well.. the girls really had a great time!! Apparently the University of Texas Womens Basketball program donated about 70 basketballs to my center last year but they were still in their boxes so when i started cleaning the center a few months ago i found them and decided that i def wanted to have physical activities part of the center. There is a basketball court at the lycee (built by peace corps years ago) right by my center.

Considering that most of these girls have never played a sport in their lives they really enjoyed themselves. Mark and Ryan helped me out and we ran a few drills and then jsut they them shoot around for about an hour and a half and we finally had to pull the balls away from them- they didnt want to stop playing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so thrilled you are doing this (and my brother Ryan is helping)!! I coach JV girls' basketball and I'm not sure the girls realize how lucky they are to have the opportunities they have. I love reading your blog by the way. Especially when you mention Ryan, but also just to learn about y'all's lives over there!