Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Obama in Africa

While it sucks not to be home for such a monumental election like the one today, there is no better place to be then in africa. All this past week I have been stopped by strangers on the street asking “tu as voté?” and I love to see their reaction when I give a little fist pump and say “yes I did! Barack Obama!”. Today I wore my new Obama/Biden shirt around and was practically cheered wherever I went (shout our to carrie dietrich for the shirt!). Africans absolutely love Barack and I love that so many people here are interested in American politics. My host family has been watching the french news coverage of the election and they always go above and beyond to make sure i understand everytime the anchors mention the election. its funny because people here hardly seemed to notice a coup even took place and rarely will take sides on their national politics but are so interested and informed about my national politics.

Also, ryan (one of our brousse volunteers) got the debates mailed to him so a bunch of us watched those this past weekend which really made the election feel real. Its hard to imagine when you fill out a write in ballot in the middle of the African desert that there actually is an election going on sometimes. we had a blast watching all the hilarious things that we had read about sarah palins preformance in the vp debate too hahhaha...

tonight me and the other 1st year volunteer in boghe are crashing at the regional house along with 2 other brousse volunteers to follow the election throughout the night online. things are looking good... crossing my fingers that ohio finally pulls through!!!

No comments: