Sunday, December 7, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Winter has finally come to Mauritania! While it has been chilly a little bit in the early mornings for the past few weeks it is nothing compared to the temperature now. I know that a lot of it has to due with the fact that I’ve been living in 100 degree heat for so long, but it feels like its freezing here! Even during the hottest points of the day there is still a little chill in the air and anytime near sunset you have to put a sweatshirt on. Every night before the cold front came in I slept with a fan on me and now I’ve been sleeping in long sleeve shirts, pants, socks, and a thick wool blanket! Im curious how cold it actually is because at night it seems close to freezing.

We took some time to enjoy the cold and really kick our Christmas decorations into full gear. Heres a pic of the stockings me and Stephanie sewed (and Julie Ann wrote our names on with her amazing cursive glitter glue abilities). One for each of the 12 volunteers in my region... more crafting/Christmas decorations and pictures to come!

In light of the new weather changes, I have some very exciting things to add to my wish list (if you have been sweating non-stop for the last 6 months you would understand while it’s so exciting for me haha).
- Hot chocolate and apple cider packets
- chai tea
- warm clothes (stuff i already had in my closet but didnt pack to bring with me, not necessarily new stuff)

No comments: