Tuesday, December 16, 2008

work update

so i guess a few of you have been wondering why i dont blog about work, so i thought id write a little work update... work is going well, but like in america, work is work. It can be stressful and frustrating, especially with the language/cultural barrier. For example, after i finally got the center up and running, i had to cancel classes for 10 days because of the fete. And now with Christmas, New Years, and then a week long PC conference in Nouakchott, i am going to have to close the center for another 3 weeks. The goal of the centers are to been self sustainable so its a long term goal of mine to find maurtianians who are interested in helping me teach/manage the center. But for now the center will have to be closed while Im gone.

Its been really hard to put together a schedule because the most girls have night classes almost every school night and even when i plan sessions around their free time that can get confusing because their schedules change so often... very frustrating.

So far Ive had successful computer classes, a week of AIDS sessions (for worlds AIDS day last week), bball club, and a little session on how to use a dictionary (might sound unnecessary, but really is). Hopefully when I come back from break i can have some academic review sessions by local professors and have a session on succesful local women.

1 comment:

Laurie Zimmer said...

Hi Teresa,
Sorry I have not talked to you since you left but someone just helped me to figure out how to get on here and I do not know how to get on facebook. Sweetie I hope you are well. We sure do miss you here in the states. Thing are crazy here with all these boys but Carly is here now so I am pretty happy. And thanks to your mom and Dad for watching Potter. I really enjoy reading about all you have done. I am so proud of you. You are really trying to reach these kids and I know you get frustrated but you are doing awesome. I hope you have a good holiday and i will type more later once I know this got to you love you lulu