Saturday, July 19, 2008

modesty? pantless babies and topless women




I thought it was about time to post some of the cultural differences ive noticed since ive been in Mauritania.
1. modesty: god forbid you show off an ankle but women here whip out their boobs to breastfeed like nobodies business. Also, due to a lack of diapers, babies (or toddlers) go pantless until they are potty trained (about 3… a little old to be pantless all day everyday in any culture). And if they pee in the middle of the straw hut during dinner, oh well…
2. inshallah: everything here only happens if allah wills it and is solidified with the word “inshallah” that is said at the end every sentence. “we’ll pick you up for class tomorrow, inshallah”. If allah wills we get picked up for class then it will happen, not if the driver remembers to pick us up. It’s a good way not to be held responsible for anything.
3. if/when: in pulaar, if and when are the same word. I cant help but laugh every day in class when our instructor makes us talk about our daily activities and I have to start with the phrase “So mi finii”, in English “if I wake up…” Hahahah… not when I wake up, if I wake up. Goes right back to the if allah wills it, inshallah.

- picture is of the baby goat i saw being born last week.. hahah it makes the funniest baby goat noises that i ever heard so i had to chase it around the yard and pick it up
- picture of my one room cement house with my family's straw hut in the backround

2 comments:

JAC said...

haha! sooo true. PK7 holdin down!

Unknown said...

Teresa -- I believe you are currently stationed with my son, Ryan -- who speaks very, very highly of all of the PCVs at PK7. Thanks for a great blog -- and wonderful pictures!
Vicki McAllister