Sunday, July 13, 2008

nglobes!


along with the camel spiders comes the daily migration of camels (nglobes in pulaar) during the rainy season whoch is soooo amazing. each day around sunset about half a dozen wonder through our little village. no matter where we are hanging out all the little kids come find us and tell us that the camels are coming through because they think is it hilarious to see how excited the toubabs get over seeing a camel. hopefully when i come back to the center next week for a few days i will have time to finally upload pictures... im crossing my fingers!

last night i went to a wedding party in my village- of a 12 year old girl to a 20 year old boy - eww. it took everything in me to try and get the pit out of my stomach and just enjoy mauritanian culture for what it is. luckily i got out of forced awkward dancing in front of the whole town although my sitemate julie wasnt as lucky hahaha....

grandma fatimata took me to the market the other day and bought me a woodaire (sp? in pulaar), a type of cool wrap skirt that the women wear here with boubous (huge sheet like shirts) over top of them. grandma tried to get me to get a boubou too but i convinced her that i was fine with my american fitted tshirts. some of the other girls who are living with more conservative families (and who will most likely be placed up north in the more conservative part of the country because of their language placement) have to wear mulafas (full body/head sheet dresses). im really enjoying knowing that whereever my final placement is it wont be in a place where i have to wear stuff like that. on that note, we find out our final site placements next week!!! look for a post!! ill find out where ill be for the next two years and then i go on a site visit immeadiantly afterwards and pick out where im going to live in my town and meet who i am going to be working with... exciting!
- picture is of the camels that come in around sunset everyday eating in matt and julie's compound

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Teresa -- you are a site-mate with my son -- Ryan. He speaks so highly of you, I look forward to meeting you sometime in the future. Thanks for your wonderful blog and pictures. It makes me feel so close to him. Hope our package makes it to him soon! Tell him to give you some of the lemonade mix!! Take care.