Friday, July 4, 2008

la fete d'independance


today all the PCTs were brought back to the center to celebrate the 4th of july, complete with hamburgers and americans. so far i am lovinnnnggggg my homestay. my family is awesome and the other 3 trainees are a ton of fun. our village is a lot smaller then i thought, around 50 people who all say theyre in the same family but can articulate how. although the peace corps is paying them, i still feel bad that they gave their single room cement house for me to live in for the next 2 months while they are living in straw huts.

life is finally settling into a pattern with language classes starting at around 9am-1pm (with our prof taking little nap/smoke breaks about every hour of so). then its back to our families from lunch and a nap (a good time to go in my room and put on some shorts to cool off) and then language classes again from 530-730. pulaar is soo different then any other western language but im starting to pick it up. my family is having a hilarious time trying to teach me phrases and words at speeds that are impossible to keep up with. me and the other trainees hang out and play some cards til dinner at about 9 and then its off to bed.

the rainy season started earlier this week and it is nothing like what i experiences in cameroon. by rainy season here they mean huge sand storms and monsoon like rain for a few hours every night then they same hot and dry weather during the day. my village is literally a beach with houses on it so water doesnt do much at all but soak immeadiantly. but when the storm comes it really comes. all my roommates can imagine me alone with the wind blowing like crazy and the rain pounding on my tin roof kind of freaking out. im not a fan of storms at home either but at least here i comfort myself knowing that no matter how fast the winds start going tornados only happen in north america and im not the one sleeping in the straw huts.

the food has been pretty good so far and i think my family is happy that they get paid the same amount to feed a meat eater as they do to feed me. the past week as been all vegetarian foods all the time and they dont seem to mind at all. lots of rice, couscous, beans, carrots, potatoes, onions, green beans and bread. ive run out of all my granola/protein bars so any of those added in a care package would be greatly appreciated!! (peanut butter flavored anything especially). we havent gotton mail yet but it should be here soon!

ps. happy bday hattie! sorry i missed it again hahahha
- picture is of my teacher Baila during our daily afternoon Pulaar language classes

No comments: